Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Removing Mirena

When our boys were four years old and two and one-half years old we finally had Mirena removed. I never in my wildest dreams expected it to be such an epic event. I could not wait to get it out. I am pretty sure we conceived during the time Mirena was in my body and lost the baby. Not once, but twice. I have a lot of guilt with having chose such a device.The Mirena had actually gone AWOL somewhere in my uterus during its two and one-half year tenure in my body. The P.A. made several attempts to get it out and just could not find it. She was disappointed to tell me I'd probably have to go in for an ultrasound just to find it. I was uninsured and could not afford a bill like that. She consulted with the OBGYN who oversaw her and he suggested lidocain shots...into my cervix! I was not at all looking forward to it, but agreed. I was running out of affordable options. A few shots in the cervix later, she used the hemostats to reach through the cervix to the uterus and actually got the Mirena on the first try! The removal of the device was painful considering the entire process, but I was glad it was over. Finally, we could try for another baby! We were ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment